The Masters Degree

Admission Information

Academic Program

Masters Project

Other programs in applied maths & informatics

Information for Foreign Students

Restricted area


Additional information

Grenoble University has put into place a resource for foreign students. Point your web browser at:


Before your arrival in France

Student visa

If you are not a citizen of a European Union country and you plan to spend more than six months studying in France you will need a long-stay visa (visa de long séjour) marked "étudiant" (student).

Students of all nationalities can subsequently have their student visas renewed automatically as long they provide the documents required by the authorities.

Apply to the nearest French Consulate, in your home country, or to the visa section of the French Embassy.

3 important points :

  1. A tourist visa, of whatever type, can never be turned into a student visa in France or in any other EU country.
  2. A French visa cannot be modified once you have arrived in France.
  3. if you are from a country outside the European Union and are staying in France for more than 3 months you must obtain a student residence permit, which is not he same as a visa, in the first two months after your arrival in France.

For more information: www.campusfrance.org

To obtain a visa you will need the following documents (originals and photocopies) :

  • Passport (valid until at least 3 months after visa expiry date)
  • Proof of enrolment (justificatif d'inscription) at higher education establishment (letter of acceptance for your application or a pre-enrolment certificate, stipulating course category and subject)
  • Proof that you have adequate means to cover the period of your stay. The amount is set by the French Embassy in each country and is equivalent to a minimum of 430 euros a month
  • Round-trip travel ticket (for students staying less than 6 months)
  • Proof of social security coverage (insurance certificate). See below under Health insurance
  • Photocopies of diplomas

Once you arrive

Obtaining your residence permit

This formality concerns all foreign students who are not from a European Economic Area (EEA) country. It is mandatory for all foreign students staying for more than three months. It is also essential if you wish to qualify for a housing grant. Its duration is limited by the validity of your passport and cannot exceed the period of study. It is valid for up to one year, but may be renewed. It is a good idea to apply for this permit as quickly as possible, once you have your student card. This formality can be completed on the campus, at the prefecture's desk in student social centre (EVE) from mid-September to mid-January. At this time you will be given an appointment for a medical check-up.

To obtain a residence permit you must provide :

  • Passport with long-stay visa.
  • Three recent black and white ID photographs.
  • Proof of enrolment at the university (student card).
  • Proof of means.
  • Attestation de couverture sociale.
  • Proof of lodging, provided by landlord


Student health coverage

  • In France, Health Coverage is mandatory.Whatever is your nationality, you are entitled to register at the Student Social Security Coverage which is a specific regime of the French general regime commonly named la Sécu.
  • The subscription is done during your administrative enrolment at the University, with one of the two student insurance companies: LMDE or SMERRA. Registration fees are 189 euros / year.
  • It is also strongly recommended to obtain a European Health Insurance Card from the Health Insurance authority of your own country. This card entitles you to the refund of any medical costs you may have to pay upfront while you are in France. You may receive your refund in France or very rapidly once you return to your home country.
  • Health Insurance coverage entitles you to the partial reimbursement of your medical expenses (35 % to 70 %).
  • If you are over 28, you must take out a personal insurance. The Social Security system but also the student mutual companies and the private insurance companies all offer insurance schemes.
  • You may also be covered by the French Universal Health Care System Couverture Maladie Universelle CMU. Enquire at the university social services department.

Complementary insurance

In addition to mandatory coverage, LMDE and SMERRA offer a complementary insurance, named la mutuelle (from 80 euros / year).

Inter-university health centre

You have access to many free services including reception services, consultations and preventive medicine in the areas of general medicine, nursing care, gynaecology, psychology, diet and nutrition, tobacco addiction, disabilities, etc.

For more information:

180 rue de la Piscine 38400 St-Martin-d'Hères
Tél: 04 76 82 40 70
TramB Les Taillées stop
TramC Berlioz stop
  • In the town center
5 rue d'Arsonval 38000 Grenoble
Tél: 04 76 57 50 90
Tram A, B Gares stop

Cost of your stay

Rent estimates :

  • Room in a conventional university hall of residence with modest facilities: 140 to 160 euros per month
  • Room in a more modern university hall of residence: 250 to 300 euros per month
  • Hotel residence (room with kitchenette, bathroom and WC) 30 to 80 euros per night
  • Room in a private home (generally sharing kitchen and bathroom): 250 to 400 euros per month
  • Studio flat (one room) or small flat (F1 - 1 room and kitchen): 450 to 550 euros per month
  • F2 (2 rooms and kitchen) and F3 (3 rooms and kitchen): 550 to 850 euros per month
  • F4 (4 rooms and kitchen) and house: 800 to 1200 euros per month

Typical expenses for a month

Accommodation :

  • In university hall of residence: 140 to 300 euros
  • In town (room or studio flat): 50 to 500 euros
  • Food (if eating in university cafeterias): 200 euros
  • Meal ticket: 2,85 euros

Transport :

One-month student travel pass entitling you to unlimited travel on the urban public transport network: 24 euros

Clothing :

40 euros

Sundries and hygiene :

25 euros

Leisure activities :

  • Cinema 5.50 to 8 euros
  • One-day ski pass: between 20 and 25 euros; half-day: 9 euros
  • Concert: 10 to 45 euros
  • Paperback: ~ 6.50 euros
  • Museum: admission free to 6 euros

You will therefore need at least 700 a month if you are living in a university hall of residence or approximately 900 if you are renting private accommodation.

Be prepared for the first month's expensives! Enrolment fees:180 to 470 euros depending on degree courses (over 1000 euros for some management degrees)

Health insurance

  • Social security: 189 euros
  • Complementary insurance (mutuelle): from 80 euros
  • The cost of health insurance is much higher for students over 28 years old.

Attention : Don't forget! On top of your rent you often have to pay rental charges, electricity, gas, water and insurance (variable rates). Monthly cost of Internet + telephone: approx. €30 (there may also be an initial connection charge). The estimate does not include the cost of travel, books or health care, which will of course vary.

You can find more information here :

These are just the basics, please go visit those websites for more informations :

Edit - History - Print - Recent Changes - Search
Page last modified on September 24, 2012, at 12:41 PM